Kiggans Votes to Lower Energy Costs, Unleash Domestic Production
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congresswoman Jen Kiggans (VA-02) voted in favor of H.R. 1, the Lower Energy Costs Act. H.R. 1 allows our domestic energy industry to flourish by removing unnecessarily complicated permitting regulations and modernizing outdated laws. Importantly, the legislation included Congresswoman Kiggans’ amendment which protects Virginia’s coast by ensuring that no moratoriums on offshore drilling in the Mid-Atlantic Planning Area are affected. Additionally, the Congresswoman proudly voted for multiple bipartisan amendments to the bill offered by both Republicans and Democrats.
“Skyrocketing energy prices have caused countless hardships for the families of Virginia’s Second District over the past two years,” said Congresswoman Kiggans. “I was proud to vote for H.R. 1, which will provide Americans with some much-needed relief at the pump and on their energy bills. Coastal Virginians know how to be good stewards of the environment without sacrificing jobs or the economy – I’m glad to see Congress finally start to follow their lead!”
“Energy security is national security,” continued Congresswoman Kiggans. “This bill will put us back on the path to energy independence and – eventually – energy dominance! I hope this bill will make its way to the President’s desk and that he signs it into law so that all Americans can benefit from it.”
H.R. 1 unleashes American energy and reforms our broken permitting process by:
- Modernizing the National Environmental Policy Act’s (NEPA) permitting process by streamlining federal reviews for all sectors of the economy.
- Repealing harmful royalties and fee increases imposed on energy production that drive up prices for families.
- Requiring the Department of the Interior to resume lease sales on federal lands and waters.
- Repealing restrictions on the export of natural gas, including LNG.
- Imposing a 120-day deadline on filing litigation on final agency actions concerning energy and mining projects.
- Repealing the President’s $6 billion natural gas tax.
- Improving the permitting processes at critical mineral refining and processing facilities, allowing our nation to produce and refine crucial energy resources domestically.
You can watch Congresswoman Kiggans speak on the House Floor in support of H.R. 1 here.
You can read the full bill text here.